People who have near death experiences all talk about a peaceful, euphoric , bright light enveloping them. From the moment we are conceived, we are moving towards that light. This is my heels diggin' in, I don't wanna' go, reluctant journey, into the light. Stephen







Monday, February 1, 2010

Lazy Sunday





Life is like a river.  Constantly moving forward, running it's course to demise, as it joins the sea. Our lives are the same, ribbons of mortality,  intertwined, destination unseen, moving as one.  Flowing waters of power, tragedy, exhilirating joy, sustenance.  Life.  And sometimes the river slows, broadens,  temporarily at rest from it's relentless work of  carving earth and stone.  A breather.  Swirling, straight to hell whirlpools  give way to gently circling eddies of refuge, and violently malevolent rapids flatten to a welcoming peaceful calm.  The powerful currents of inevitability still flowing, but at a pace more in tune with souls craving peaceful sereness.   These are the times when the river speaks to me.  Whispers of encouragement and inspiration.  My soul quieted on a lazy Sunday afternoon.


click pics to enlarge

I need those quiet times.  Not just to mute the incessant noise of modern life, but even more importantly, to hear my own voice.  Honesty doesn't flow from the unrelenting daily cacophony of life's pressures and stress, but from the sweet spring of quiet introspection.  Too often, I don't seek out those honest quiet waters, and lose touch with the sustaining currents of spiritual renewal.  Only when the river slows, does it release the bounty of nutrients it has carried from afar.  It gives life where once, there was only stone. Life for all.



Inevitably, Monday will come.  The channel will narrow, or a spillway will beckon and once again relentess fury will be released. But today, I want to breathe these moments slowly.  Cherish the people I love.  I want to take solace in the fact that others are following this same ribbon of life.  That I'm not alone.  That this river is a pathway, to something better. 

 

Soon enough, we will all taste the brackish transformation into final, sweet salinity.  But for today, I want to breathe deep the renewal of clear water and blue skies.  To feel the infusion of a power that can only come from on high.  Downstream there awaits unfishished work.  Tasks that will require the energy, inspiration , and clarity of thought recaptured today.  Our mortal sculpting yet unfinished.



And so as the light surrenders it's magic, my soul satiated, blessed with affirmation once again, I say a little prayer.

thank you god,
for these waters,
for these skies.

thank you,  amen

And as usual, when my soul is calm, renewed, and receptive,  God says, "you are welcome."







No comments: