People who have near death experiences all talk about a peaceful, euphoric , bright light enveloping them. From the moment we are conceived, we are moving towards that light. This is my heels diggin' in, I don't wanna' go, reluctant journey, into the light. Stephen







Thursday, January 7, 2010

Poets Corner

When you have poured your heart and soul into building a business from scratch and make the decision to shut it down, it doesn't matter whether it's from defeat or emancipation. It feels the same.





A Well Worn Handle


tools that begat blisters, mere detritis now

stories of sweat, dripping with blood

the tales they tell, I'll miss'em somehow

with their leaving, tears in a flood




once a king's ransom, earning their keep

coaxing from earth, tuition's gold

leaving for a pittance, not yet to sleep

slaveholder I feel, uttering your sold

stephen




2 comments:

AW1 Tim said...

I know how that feels. I had to close my business after ten years of blood, sweat, and tears. Oh, I was making money. I was supporting my family, and paying the taxes. However, I was killing myself with the hours I had to spend at it. I couldn't afford to hire any more help, because the damned state kept raising fees, and permits, and all sorts of crap. Without a couple more bodies, I couldn't keep at it, so I had to lock the doors and walk away.

That alone darned near did me in. But I cur the overhead by working out of the house, and that, after a good break, let me get back on my feet and try again. That's the beauty of this nation. The right to try, and tyhe right to fail and try again.

I just wish the gubbmint would figure out that the best way to generate tax income is to cut the tax rate and let capitalism work.

Ah well. My condolences, brother.

Stephen said...

Tim. DO. NOT. GET. ME. STARTED. ON. EMPLOYEES.